Read DL is a county-wide reading movement, designed to bring the people of Donegal together by collectively reading the same book.
The aims of the Read DL project are to:
- Improve literacy skills and foster a love of reading;
- Entice people, young and old, to read more and;
- Encourage the entire community to read the same book, share ideas and to broaden and expand their viewpoints.
For our 2019 project, we had participants from:
- 70 schools (57 primary schools and 13 post-primary schools)
- All six Youthreach Centres
- Three Community-based groups (and families signed up too!)
- All “Learning for Living” Centres, for adults returning to education as part of the Donegal Education and Training Board (ETB)
We also had:
- A massive 2,285 books distributed across the county, thanks to Letterkenny Institute of Technology (LYIT) and the Donegal Education and Training Board (ETB) – the most we have ever distributed!
- A further 100 books purchased and made available in all Donegal Libraries for community use
- Booktastic events were facilitated across the county
- 192 entries to our 2019 creative writing competition.
Click here to find out more.
Please explore our website to find out how to get involved!